Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Sunday, Bloody Sunday


An interesting thing happened on Sunday. Can you guess? It started with a shower that I decided to take at midnight. I had some crazy idea that I was going to get up early and write (which didn't happen) so I thought showering the night before (read: early morning) would be a good idea. At this point in my recovery, I really wasn't expecting any bleeding, despite the fact that parts of the incisions are still scabbed over. That's my big fear. Post-op bleeding as been the greatest recurring disaster of my life. So seeing blood dripping from my incision = not okay.

I'm not used to having two incisions at the same time. I don't know which to be more concerned about. Before Sunday, I would have guessed my ICD incision, that being the one with the pocket of blood that has yet to dissipate. But sure enough, the blood trickled from the right side, not the left. For a moment, I was panic-stricken. I thought it was my wisdom teeth all over again (another story for another post). I was 18 days post-op and seemed to be healing nicely and consistently. But it turns out, it wasn't a big deal. I must have disturbed a scab, so I put some pressure on it and then a band-aid and went to bed.

Sunday was the Fourth of July and to celebrate, the whole family went to Maryland to visit my aunt and uncle and cousins. It was a long, hot day and somewhere in the middle of the afternoon I got tired and laid down on the couch to close my eyes. At first I was on my back, because I knew that sleeping on my side was probably a bad idea--the incision was very pressure-sensitive. But I couldn't stretch out because the other half of the couch was occupied by a rottweiler. So against my better judgment, I curled up in a ball on my side and went to sleep.

I awoke to my cousin, Kevin, staring at me like I was an alien. Maybe he was just staring at me like I had just bled on his couch. We even exchanged "Hey, what's up, how are yous" before my sister-in-law, Emily, informed me that I was bleeding. Sure enough, there was a bloody trail leading from my incision, down my shoulder, to the couch. It was really fortunate that the couch happened to be black and leather, so you couldn't even see the blood and it was easily wiped off. But let's face it: when someone bleeds on your furniture, even if they're family, it's pretty disgusting. Sorry Chris and Tina!

The second instance of bleeding was fixed the same way as the first one and I stopped sleeping on my side. The picture's not great, but hopefully you can see the dark scab on the end of my lead incision. That's the site of the trouble, which is under control for right now.

In other news: the green is basically gone and the ICD incision is looking a lot better. I'll have to redact my previous statement of how ugly it is. It was very swollen and bruised when I wrote about it the first time. I can see now that my new incision is really nice and clean, and even though the keloid from the old incision is still there, I think it's been reduced in size and appearance.

The rest of my physical recovery is going fine, as well. I had my first full day of work today and I feel just as tired at the end of the day as I did before my surgery. It's good to be back.


No comments:

Post a Comment